Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Edwardian Variations

One of my favorite places to find inspiration when designing vintage clothing is from Dover Publications. Above are three of the resource books I have from them, one of which is a paper doll book! (the one on the right). Dover easily has hundreds of paper doll books and other books, including books of old photographs, that are perfect for jump-starting the creative juices.

I based the 'basic' Edwardian dress on several of the styles from 'Childrens Fashions 1860-1912.' The pattern is now available here:

Basic Edwardian Dress

Included are instructions for both the bretelles (fancy shoulder straps) and a deep bodice collar. Two sleeve variations, and two different pattern stitches for the skirt. The basic bodice is simply the side-to-side bodice.

So please, have fun making these outfits, and coming up with variations of your own!


4 comments:

  1. Oh happy day! Now I really have to give my new dolly her hair so she can get these special clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I love them both! I especially like the lacey look of the green dress, it's so stylish<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are two very special little girls! You've outdone yourself-they're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kate, Piston, and Ellen. Your words mean a lot to me, and I hope you enjoy making an Edwardian Free Spirit of your own :-)

    ReplyDelete