Friday, July 2, 2010

All the girls

This is Jenny and me; she is the last of five Prairie Flower dolls that I started working on back at the end of May. They are all complete, and everyone has something to wear; not all of my dolls are so lucky :-) I also have three more patterns to share, and altogether these patterns should provide a nice trousseau for your Prairie Flower.
First is Jenny's puffed sleeve A-line dress. I modified the simple A-line dress from thebleudoor with a technique from the book "Dressing Dolls," by Rosemarie Ionker. This is a terrific book for anyone who loves to make doll clothing, or enjoys drooling over well made doll clothing. The pattern for the dress is here:

Puff Sleeve Dress

This is really cute in a '30's style print. Here is a tip to get the collar to lay nice and flat along the dolls neckline; after you've completed the outfit, place it on the doll and dampen the collar lightly. Pin the front and back points of the collar to the dress, with a straight pin right into the doll, just like you would like the collar to lay. Let this dry, and the collar stays nicely in place after the pins are removed.
Next is a dress with gathered sleeves and the skirt gathered to the bodice. The bodice is done the same way as the puffed sleeve dress above. This is a really clever way of making a gathered sleeve without the tediousness of setting the sleeve in the armhole.

Gathered Sleeve Dress

The bodice can be lengthened for a drop waist dress, or for a blouse, and you can play around with the fullness of the sleeve cap to alter the look.
Last is my favorite, a super simple vest that can be left plain or embellished to your hearts content.

Simple Vest

Only two seams, the side seams, and you're done. You can make this vest out of felt or fleece.
Here are all the girls, wishing you a lovely day filled with creativity :-)

20 comments:

  1. So very pretty! They are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so cute, Beth. I have my yarn and if I survive housecleaning this weekend, might start on a dollie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Nice to meet you!
    I highly appreciate your generousity (providing all your patterns) and your doll art!
    Hugs from Hungary
    Judit

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of them so lovely Beth, as are you! Such a sweet and kind person you are to provide us with these lovely patterns. I am at work on my second Prairie Flowers doll. Her embroidery will be pine needles. I wanted a north woods girl. Got some extra fabric for her clothing today so I can get going on her clothing too. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you so much for your kind comments, Lois, River, Judit, and Kate.

    River, I know that housework, if done properly, can be hazardous to your health, so be careful :-)

    Kate, I'm looking forward to seeing your next Prairie Flower!

    Have a lovely day,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bethie, I just looked at your dolly again. And Jenny looks like YOU!

    ;)

    she's you, isn't she? You even have similar colored blouses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi River,

    I didn't start out to make a 'mini me,' but she did sort of turn out that way :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a question about your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel pattern -- where do I send it?

    I apologize for posting in the wrong place!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marilyn,

    You can send me an email with your question at:

    dollmaker46203 [at] gmail.com

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Son hermosas tus muñecas ,se parecen a ti ,un abrazo.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Beth, you have been busy while I've been gone! Your dolls are all wonderful, with so many little touches that are so "you." I covet those purple boots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah node it! :D :D :D

    I still can't sew to save my life, but I started on a crochet dolly, inspired by your prairie dolls. Maybe I'll make a minime like you. I mean like me. I mean that looks like me that you made.

    Never mind. I shouldn't post when I'm on pain meds...

    ReplyDelete
  13. River, I'd love to see your doll when you are done :-)

    Lisa, I'd love to have those boots in my size too! Thank-you for the very kind words :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dolls are really beautiful! I can not wait to try out a Prairie Flower! Although I must first learn to embroider! Thank you for being so kind and share your pattern (I'm learning to sew all by myself and they will be very useful!)
    Watch your doll inspires me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melafragola,

    Congratulations on teaching yourself to sew! I hope it provides you with endless hours of enchantment.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your site and I am delighted with it. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful patterns and ideas. You are so generous. I love the nature spirits and plan to make one, as well as your prairie dolls. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank-you so much for your kind words, Else. I look forward to seeing a Nature Spirit from your hook, and a Prairie Flower from your needle :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beth, your dolls are adorable! Love the Prairie Flower girls and cute-cute-cute outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  19. das ist ja süß ,Jenny sieht dir so ähnlich :),wunderschön ,ich wollte ich könnte das auch.Liebe Grüße Regina

    ReplyDelete