Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fairy Wings!

A new pattern to celebrate one year (and counting) for this blog! It has been a lot of fun to share these patterns with you, and chat with so many of you about dollmaking and crochet.

The Pocket Spirits needed some wings, and I don't really like to stiffen crochet cotton, so I thought I would crochet them from wire. I used this technique a couple years ago to make some wings, but never wrote down the pattern...I just sort of winged it :-)

These wings are made from 30 gauge Artistic Wire, available at http://www.artisticwire.com/
Crocheting with wire takes a little getting used to, since it is rather stiff, and your crochet piece does not have much stretch. But it will also keep it shape and makes such a neat, lacy fabric. Perfect for fairy wings.

I incorporated beads into the crochet. Beads are easy to string on wire, but also may require a little practice to get used to crocheting. This is a simple pattern of single crochet and chain stitches. The pattern for the wings is here:

Pocket  Spirit Fairy Wings

You can also find it along the left hand sidebar under Pocket Spirits

The wings are simply pinned on the girls here. When they finally get their outfits, I will permanently attach the wings to the Spirit.

Still, they look pretty cute in their birthday suits :-)

20 comments:

  1. Thanks, Joyce :-) I have a book entitled "Crochet with Wire" which is a great book for a beginner with wire, and has some lovely jewelry pieces that are also quite simple. I made a bracelet, and was very pleased with the result. I plan to do more!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable and another unique idea. I love those little cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, they are adorable. The pink one looks just like Cupid! She just needs a bow and arrow.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I love your wire wings! They give me a feeling of lightness and brightness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you all for your good words :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very pretty! Congratulations for the one year anniversary. I've enjoyed reading your blog for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you so much, Lois. I know you've been here almost since the beginning :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of the wire wings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're cute! :)
    Happy Birthday to "byhookibyhand"!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's adorable! BTW, I want to thank you for sharing your patterns, you are very generous. I'm new at crochet and making dolls, and I found out about your blog a couple of days ago.

    Cheers from Brazil! :-}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I forgot... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday! Just discovered your blog via the lj comm. weloveamigurumi, and boy you made my day. Which was a tall order considering how my day had gone, but one look at your adorable dolls in all their lovely finery, and I'm happy as a pea! And then the patterns! Just recently started crocheting 'coz I'm living with my granny at the moment, and stumbled, quite by accident, into the fantastic universe of amigurumi. Salutations from India!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank-you, everyone! For all the wonderful words; you all make MY day :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog and love it. Maybe one of these days I can try to crochet a fairy. I think yours are just adorable and the wings are just stunning. I can't wait to take a closer look at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandy!

    Thank-you for your good words. These little dolls are easy to crochet...just one stitch, the single crochet. Crochet tight so the stuffing doesn't show; and they use such a little bit of yarn.

    Hope you dive in and try one for yourself :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh me gosh! I was just doing a little google search for crochet fairies and here I am!
    I absolutely in love with everything here.
    I've recently started crocheting and am loving the whole amigurumi thing. I've also started blogging and am also amazed by other people's great blogs.
    I think I shall stay a while longer and try to take in some more.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I love these, where can I find the pattern for these lovely fairies? my email is thehealingplacethatcares@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The patterns for the Pocket Spirits are here on the blog. Look on the left sidebar for Pocket Spirit patterns.

    And enjoy :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete