Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Teacup Cottage

I love dollhouses; bet you'd never guess :-)

This little dollhouse for the Teacup Spirits is made from a Michael's CD cubbie.  I had this collecting dust in my sewing room for a couple of years, just waiting for the right inspiration to do something with it.  After making a few Teacup Spirits, I realized it was the perfect abode for them, and their friends :-)

I painted the house with a coat of Gesso, to give a nice surface to paint on.  Then used primary colors for the outside, and white for the inside.  For wallpaper, I used scrapbook papers.  The only problem here was deciding what papers to use, and not end up buying everything in sight!




I papered the back wall only (make it easy on yourself), by cutting a pattern for the wall, then cutting out the paper to the pattern.  I glued the paper to the back wall by watering down glue to the consistency of cream, then painting it on the entire wall.

The windows (both inside and out) are trimmed with narrow ric-rac around the curved edge, and some woven braid along the bottom.

Soft rugs are felt.  I planned to embroider a design on each rug, but got impatient.  The design is penciled on the bottom side of the rug, if I change my mind :-)






Full of dolls and furniture!  The furniture is made from one of my all time favorite things to play with...wood findings from the craft and hobby store.  The bed is made from four tiny clothespin pegs (courtesy of Joyce!) and craft sticks.  The clothespin pegs make the four posters, and the craft sticks the side rails, head and footboard, and stringers.

The parlour furniture is SO simple!  Two 1 1/4 inch wood blocks are the base of the chair; the back is made of craft sticks cut to size.  The chairs are painted and embellished with lace and felt cushions.

The table is a wood disk glued to a wood flowerpot; painted and trimmed with ric-rac.





You can see how simple the chairs are, and the bed was not at all hard to make either.  The mattress is a length of Warm&Natural batting folded three or four times to make it nice and soft.  A crochet comforter is in order, I think.


It isn't too early to be thinking about Christmas, and this little dollhouse would make a delightful Christmas gift for a lucky girl.  You could make a Christmas cottage, a Gingerbread cottage, a seaside cottage, a Tudor cottage.  The possibilities are limitless; let your imagination fly :-)

26 comments:

  1. OOOh!LOVE IT! Your embroidery work is in order...I'd love to see that...you do such great embroidery work that it inspires me to embroider [mind you I'm only a beginner and I just learned to french knot].

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... wow... it's so... amazing!!:)

    Rux

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the good words, Miss Julep, Anna, Carolyn, and Rux :-)

    Carolyn, I didn't get to the embroidery 'cause I got a bee in my bonnet for another doll :-) Too many projects, too little time!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw...this is so lovely! Thank you for sharing!
    It would be such a sweet gift!

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you have done it again. Absolutely adorable. Any little girl would love it. Heck. I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been wondering where you were. I see you've been on construction site! Perfect little house. Such a cheery place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely precious! :) Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the good words, Sarah, Eileen, Yvonne, Kate, and Lois :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so super precious! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good way to re-purpose something that may find it's way to a landfill. I love it. Another awesome share. Thank you Beth.

    `til next time.

    connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! So cute!!! I love it sooooo! Amazing work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the best dollhouses I've ever seen. Just WONDERFUL. I love the windows :P and the wallpaper is just perfect. It's amazing what you can do with things around you. My husband always tell me that I keep unuseful things for nothing, but I think that everything can be useful :) and I recycle things in the same way as you do. Congratulations for your beautiful work and thank you for sharing. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I just love your Teacupsie Spirits and their new cottage. I always enjoy seeing what you do, and I even make a few things myself from your inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity! Cordially, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! Love the mini LaLaLoopsy dolls too. We have a ton of the big & small ones here. :o) They make me smile to look at their happy faces.

    My granddaughter would love a tiny dollhouse for her tiny dolls. She already has a huge dollhouse for her bigger dolls.

    You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Ms. Beth Villa,

    I have seen your amazing construction work in building homes as well as interior design. You have been written up in Southern Living and This Old House. You have come highly recommended by Mini Spirits, Pocket Spirits, and Teacup Spirits. They said the homes that you have built them are a joy to live in and they are the envy of all the neighboring dolls who eye their homes from the tops of shelves wishing they could shrink in size.

    Therefore, we would like to contract you to build more little homes so we can enjoy an entire neighborhood of these lovely houses.

    Sincerely,

    Crafting in the South....Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work is such an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing. I only hope to aspire to your level of talent so that my nieces and daughters can enjoy the pleasure of having their own little fairies, nymphs and pocket spirits. Thanks again and keep creating! ~hooking til my hands hurt, Shanah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all so very much, Joyce, Bama, Colleen, Join, Lovestitch, Connie, and Bri :-)

    My Grandmother never threw anything away; you never know what you might be able to use a plastic bottlecap, Popsicle stick, or three inches of pretty trim for :-)

    Sharing ideas with kindred spirits is just about as good as it gets. I hope to see some tiny cottages from you all!

    Joyce, your words always, always make me smile :-)

    Thanks again, my dear friends.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Shanah, for the good words :-) Hooking till my hands hurt too!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! I'm passing along a Sunshine award to your blog. check it out on my blog at

    bwalker8706.blogspot.com

    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an adorable house and fun post. Dollhouses and plush critters are so much fun! Thanks for all of the inspiration.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Brittany, thanks so much!

    Jennifer, thank you for the good words; PLUSH CRITTERS RULE!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so gorgeous! I would love to make one for my 3 year old DD, I'm just wondering how you cut out the windows? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, this is one of those CD holders that I bought at Michaels, so the windows were already cut! All I had to do was paint and decorate :-)

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete